Social worker by heart, therapist by trade, Kat Thompson earned her MSW in 2022. She’s a mental health professional specializing in helping those in crisis. She also is a founder of Cascadia Cares ,”:building a world where it’s normal to help others.”
1. Tell us what a case manager's scope of work and responsibilities are.
2. What made you want to pursue this line of work?
3. What do you believe are the most challenging aspects of dealing with people who have SMI?
4. What changes would you most like to see in the system?
5. What is the hardest thing about your work?
6. How do you find the job as crisis line counselor as compared to case manager?
7. Tell us what else you are doing (ie. your non-profit and political work) and how it fits in to the big picture.
8. If there was one message you'd like to get across about mental health/illness and the system, what would it be?
9. what kind of training you received before each of your positions?
Hope for Troubled Minds: https://delightindisorder.org/hftm-call-for-submissions/
Mindy and her book: https://mindygreiling.com/
Randye and her book: https://benbehindhisvoices.com/
Miriam and her book: https://www.miriam-feldman.com/
Randye Kaye - was a morning Radio Personality bringing humor to CT families when her own son was diagnosed with schizophrenia. Now she is still a Broadcaster, Actress, Voice Talent, Speaker, and Author (Ben Behind his Voices, Happier Made Simple)
Miriam Feldman - is an artist, writer, and the mother of an adult son with schizophrenia. Her book, He Came in With It chronicles her family's story and was released to rave reviews on July 21st, 2020.
Mindy Greiling - Mindy Greiling was a member of the Minnesota House of Representatives for twenty years. She helped found the nation's first state mental health caucus, which successfully lobbied for a significant increase in Minnesota's mental health funding Her acclaimed memoir is Fix What You Can.