Episode 22- From Schizophrenia and Pot Addiction, through Treatment, to Success: Carson's Story
Today we talk with Carson S. , who has an inspiring story to tell, from schizophrenia/addiction to sobriety/recovery success. We talk about his life….what it used to be like, what his challenges have been (addiction/intrusive thoughts/SMI) , and how he is doing now…..and what advice he might give to others who need to have hope.
Mimi and I met Carson last week at a gathering at Rob Laitman’s home for his patients and families (see episode 18)
- What happened when you were using marijuana?
- Did you realize that was an abnormal response?
- As your symptoms progressed, what did you think was happening? Did you even suspect mental illness?
- Did your parents or family know what was going on? What about teachers or friends? Did they suspect anything?
- When was it that you finally realized you had a problem?
- Did you ever “hear voices”? If you did, could you tell they weren’t real?
- What other symptoms did you recognize?
- Were you afraid of the medication? Afraid of the doctors?
- Since we know you finally ended up on clozapine, you must have had a rough journey on previous medications? Tell us about that.
- How was clozapine different?
- When did you notice improvement? Were there specific things that changed or were different?
You spent a year at Viewpoint Dual Recovery Center - what was that like?
- Have you had any challenges with wanting to use marijuana?
- What’s your life like today?
- It is very difficult to recover from the dual diagnosis of BOTH addiction and serious mental illness.
- But as of today you seem to be managing this. How did you do it?
- What do you want other families to know?
Who Are the 3 Moms?
Randye Kaye -Broadcaster, Actress, Voice Talent, Speaker, and Author (“Ben Behind his Voices”)
Miriam Feldman – Artist, Mom, Author “He Came in With It”
Mindy Greiling – member of the Minnesota House of Representatives for twenty years. Activist, Legislator, Author (“Fix What You Can“)