Getting personal on this episode about the effects of addiction (drugs or alcohol) on the family - and the double challenge when it co-occurs with SMI (Serios Mental Illness) - in our sons’ cases: schizophrenia.
Are we ever really out of the woods? Are our loved ones?
What can we do? What must we let go of?
The 3 moms get personal here. Solutions? We wish we had some - but we do share ideas of actions and attitude.
Maybe you’ll hear your story inside of ours. You are not alone.
What is dual diagnosis? (Co-occuring disorder)
What works? What doesn’t? -
- “Harm reduction” treatment?
- 12-step programs?
Why is it so hard?
- Similar symptoms - delayed SMI diagnosisGrief
- Grief, Lost Trust, lost time
- Relapse disappointment
- Stronger drugs now
What can the family do?
- “Trust, but verify” - blood tests, Urine tests
- Set your boundaries/rewards/consequences
- Do what works - even if your break the rules you thought you knew
- Balance of letting go/stepping in
- Support a healthier community and purposeful activity for our loved ones
- Get support or help for yourself (the family) - AlAnon? Therapy?
- “Know that you’re dealing with something unknowable, and do the best you can” (Mimi)
- Look for Integrated Care for your loved one - treats both diagnoses together
- Keep watching carefully
- Be aware (and providers be aware) that what looks like “just substance abuse” may indeed be early symptoms of SMI - alert the family
Dr. Laitman - listen to our episode 18, June 2021
Samhsa has resources: 1-800-662-HELP
Cedar Ridge: https://www.meridianprograms.com/program/cedar-ridge-mens-residential-stillwater-mn/
Book: Beautiful Boy
Who Are the 3 Moms?
Randye Kaye -Broadcaster, Actress, Voice Talent, Speaker, and Author (“Ben Behind his Voices”)
Miriam Feldman – Artist, Mom, Author “He Came in With It”
Mindy Greiling – member of the Minnesota House of Representatives for twenty years. Activist, Legislator, Author (“Fix What You Can“)